Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Yes Sir, Yes Sir, One Bag Full




http://www.Herrschners.com 's physical plant is not far. However, if you're shopping for anything besides mint-green acrylic for a baby afghan, it can be depressing. Every so often, they hold a warehouse sale. It's a hodgepodge of stitchery kits and paint-by-numbers kits and embroidery floss and fiber, all arranged on long tables in the actual warehouse. If it's a hot day, bring a bottle of water because there is no air-conditioning in that warehouse.
But if you get to the sale early, you just might score something wonderful.
A few weeks ago, Herrschners had another warehouse sale. It was raining cats and dogs. It was cold People were lined up in the pouring rain, waiting on the off-chance there'd be something wonderful.
At the sale last June, I found my something wonderful: German superwash sport-weight in a tie-dye look. I got hot pink; I got forest green; I got cerulean blue. I went crazy and kept loading the stuff into my cart. $1.99 for 109 yds.!

It wasn't until the checker was packing up my purchase that I realized I had just bought a grocery bag full of the stuff. I already had a terrific pattern from http://pinklemontwist.blogspot.com. It cost $6.00, downloadable, and worth the money, although there are plenty of free mitt patterns on the web. Pink Lemon Twist's is clear, easy, has very complete directions and two variations from the basic mitt you see above.
The mitts knit up fast and easy, almost a pair to one skein of the German superwash. I'm on my third pair. I may just knit up the entire grocery bag full of wool into these mitts.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thanks for the shoutout! I love the mitts in that yarn - the pinks look great. I'm glad you're enjoying the pattern.