Monday, December 04, 2006

Adventures in Felting

Having recently bought a chocolate brown suede coat, I've been casting about for the right hat in the right color. Then I thought about my daughter's dress: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting It's a very red pink underlayer with an overlay of chocolate brown lace.

So, if you knit together Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Cherry Red + Espresso kid mohair from Nashua Knits, felted them, you'd come up with Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting this! Beautiful, perfect color and don't you adore the flower?

This is Lydia from Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron. The directions for the felted flower are also given. Even though any book title with the word hip pretty much guarantees the opposite, this is a terrific and yes, hip, book. There are 40 patterns, some for women, some for men, some unisex, some felted but mostly not. Well worth the $24.95.

What I learned from my first felting project: 1) I hate plastic needles (Susan Bates plastic size 10.5 dpns were the only option at the store), 2) I adore addi turbos (they did have those in 24" circs), 3) felting hats is going to be like eating jelly bellies - addictive!

No comments: