Sunday, January 14, 2007

North Sea Shawl - Complete!

I finished it last night, knitting while the rest of my crew watched "The DaVinci Code". Sitting in the next room, knitting, the film's arcane academic exercises and power-mad machinations of characters with whom no one would want to spend a weekend reminded me of grad school.

By the time the movie was blathering on about Sir Isaac Newton (and never mind that he's not buried in a church belonging to the Church of Rome which was a tangential point of the puzzle), I was grafting together the two parts of the North Sea Shawl.

This morning, I washed it. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Pinned it out on the bed to dry, maveling at how good it was looking already. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The Reynold's Whiskey wool is softer now that it's dried. To work with, it's rough and splits quite easily. But it was the right color and locally available.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This is my daughter Cleo modeling the shawl. It was a joy to knit - simple, rhythmical lace knitting. Cheryl Oberle's directions are clear and well-written and her directions for the kitchener stockinette stitch are superb. If you don't have her Folk Shawls, buy it. Yes, it's that good.

And now to do something with my stash of Black Water Abbey in Pink Heather ...

1 comment:

imadethis said...

What a lovely shawl! I'm just now knitting my very first lace shawl ever. I love yours. It doesn't look too difficult. I may try this one next.