Saturday, June 09, 2007

Cable Pullover

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Who hasn't fallen in love with the colors of Black Water Abbey yarn? I agonized over the color choice, stalled between Bluestack and Pink Heather. I bought - finally - 10 skeins in Pink Heather, 220 yards each, not having any Aran experience, not having a project in mind. Le coeur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas, comme disait Pascal. The heart wants what it wants.

No pattern was good enough for my Black Water Abbey yarn (read "easy" for "good"). Ones that came even close had drop shoulders. Drop shoulders are for the tall and dramatic. Anything less and they look sloppy. I also wanted to work on straight needles because I think seams help define a garment. Said another way: seams look good.

Actually, shoulders are especially key here. The sweater was to be for my oldest daughter. Thomasina is a high-school varsity swimmer with strong shoulders. (Her ice-skating sister, Cleo, is kindly modeling it for us, hence the fit discrepancy. Thomasina is taking the ACT this morning. Cleo is more interested in a Gryffindor item from Charmed Knits.)


No drop shoulders. Easy. Aran-ish. Seams. I had this wool for months! Being a J on the Meyers-Briggs personality inventory, I need closure. I need to make the decision, implement it, move on.

And I was stalled.

Then I found Louisa Harding's Classic Knits with a whole Aran section and each sweater more lovely than the next. Not a drop shoulder in the whole lot!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The particulars:
Pattern: Cable Pullover from Modern Classics by Louisa Harding.
Modification: I made the collar 2" high instead of 4". The wool has a crisp hand and is too scratchy for a turtleneck that goes any higher.
Yarn: Black Water Abbey in Pink Heather, about 800 yards
Needles: 7 and 8
Size: Bust 34"

Ten skeins of Black Water Abbey I bought. This sweater used 3 1/2. I'm thinking Louisa Harding's Textured Heart Sweater is next.

No comments: