Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Knitting for the Dog Days of Summer

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I spent this past Saturday, Sunday, and Monday at the air-conditioned Mall of America in Minneapolis. The MOA is so large there's an amusement park in the middle of it and an aquarium in the basement. There were also free live performances (a Yanni type and a Ashanti type but not actually Yanni or Ashanti)and fashion shows.

We were there to shop for back-to-school clothes, meaning I spent three days shopping for jeans with two teen girls. Our best luck was at Nordstrom (wonderful sales associates who seemed to actually care if the $65 jeans fit perfectly) and J. Crew.

Our hotel was rightnextdoor to the Mall. I'm still surprised to see adults come down in pyjamas to the free hotel breakfast. Actually, I'm still surprised to see children there in pyjamas, too. It's a public space; how hard is it to pull on pants, a t-shirt, and flip flops? This stay, an older, quite large woman in a bathing suit dripped her way to the waffle maker. Part of me admires the chutzpah of showing up for breakfast without changing after a swim. Most of me doesn't.

For knitting, I brought along a ball of my new seasilk, my new Addi lace circs, and Cheryl Oberle's Folk Shawls. Here's what I've got so far on the Kimono Shawl:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

In person, the yarn and the shawl are a good fit. The variegation is pretty subtle, not strident. I'll post a close-up tomorrow.

We're back home now. My husband and I are gearing up to write an article about an important Eastern Shoshone chief. The garden is dry and dusty. The raspberry patch is gasping for water and the only flowers in bloom just now are the nasturtiums.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Please stay cool in this heat - drink lots of iced tea, knit, and take plenty of dog naps in the afternoon.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: