Monday, September 03, 2007

I Love Not Camping

The dishwasher decided to expire in our arms, like a reinactment of the death scene from La Dame aux camélias. I'll spare you the drama except to say that the machine had the decency to pick a fairly convenient moment.

It also had the decency not to start a fire. It turns out our model is under recall for some kind of short that starts fires, only we hadn't yet received the letter. It's bad when you can hear the repair guy swallow hard on the other end of the phone line. This was right before he told me to cut the power to the dishwasher NOW.

So months before we move, we have to buy a new dishwasher. We dug out the settlement check from the class action suit against Maytag for the Neptune washing machine problems, good only towards the purchase of a Maytag product. How it's fair to settle up for a defective product by handing out credit to buy another product by the same company, I don't know.

"Throw it away!" I told my husband when the check arrived in the mail. "It's useless! I'll never buy another Maytag!"

He didn't throw it away and we did what I swore we'd never do again: we bought another Maytag appliance. Everyone has their price. It turns out that my price is the opportunity to score a new dishwasher - even if it's a Maytag - for under $200 out-of-pocket.

I did buy a dishrack for the small interval between the death of Old Dishwasher and the installation of New Dishwasher. We hardly used it. We ate out. It was fun. We had cheap but good Mexican food and cheap but good Chinese food and not-that-cheap hamburgers that are the best in town. As the Ann Taintor card says, "I love not camping".

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is Basic Camisole from Joan McGowan-Michael's book. The yarn is her 100% merino Joy. My version has the collar in the MC, mostly because I didn't have anything in my stash that looked great with the shell pink of the main color.

Shhhh! It's a birthday surprise for my older daughter. Her sister agreed to model it for you. Ignore the fitting issue until I can take a photo of the birthday girl in this cami, will you?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

1 comment:

vtwopoint5 said...

Lovely daughter and lovely sweater!

My idea of camping is having a bed, a bathroom and a kitchen with a fire pit outside.