Thursday, September 20, 2007

Socks for the Traveled Knitter

You know Nancy Bush's Knitting for the Road: Sock Patterns for the Traveling Knitter? The one where a particular place inspired each sock pattern?

So. I have a Christmas idea based on that book. As much as I love Nancy Bush's patterns, I'm not thinking of knitting each one.

My husband already has lots of beautiful sweaters. He doesn't have lots of beautiful socks. If I made him several pairs of socks as his gift ... if, like Nancy Bush's socks, our summer vacation inspired them? The gray of highway asphalt, the deep green blur of Ontario forests as we sped by, the stones of Quebec City, Bay of Fundy lobster red, something Celtic or Green Gables-inspired for Prince Edward Island, Atlantic blue, the golden summer fields at Gettysburg, maybe a skein from The Raven Series by Socks That Rock for Salem, Mass?

It would mean buying some interesting sock yarn, gosh darn it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is the last of my sock stash. It's Lorna's Lace's Black Watch and Grumperina's fabulous Jaywalker pattern. Fun, fast, and, um, Nova Scotia shoreline-licious?

No comments: