Thursday, December 13, 2007

Christmas Fiddle Faddle - 100% EZ-Free

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
We're putting this photo in with our Christmas cards this year.

Are you getting tired of holiday music everywhere? I was trapped in a dentist's waiting room the other day, waiting for one of my daughters, forced to listen to really bad holiday music. It was Stevie Nicks' version of "Silent Night" followed by Rod Stewart and Dolly Parton's duet of "Baby, It's Cold Outside", then the weirdest holiday recording out there, the Bing Crosby/David Bowie duet. Two of the hippest white guys in the history of the world and the song they record? "Little Drummer Boy".



Maybe you're like me and old enough to remember when that first aired. It was a Bing Crosby Christmas special that actually aired shortly after he died. David Bowie was a huge star, of course, but hardly ever on tv in this pre-MTV era. We wanted to see him do "Jean Genie" but we got him (no makeup and in a suit!) with Bing Crosby in a cardigan?

We haven't done any holiday baking at all. All that is changing this weekend. My younger daughter and a friend are entering a Bûche de Noël cake contest at the high school. Now, we have made the meringue mushrooms that often decorate such a cake but we have never, ever made this cake ourselves. It's a génoise cake rolled jelly-roll style with chocolate buttercream frosting. We have the jelly-roll pan. We have the ingredients. Do we have the woman power? I'll let you know.

The Juliet Scarf is off the needles. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket This is one project I'm sorry to see come to an end, not so much for the pattern but for the softer-than-soft Peter Rabbit yarn. Most things I give away. This one is for me.

2 comments:

vtwopoint5 said...

The scarf looks so yummy! While I am old enough, I did not remember the Bing Crosby - David Bowie duet. They kind of resemble each other.

I have no doubts the woman power at your house can produce a great cake :)

And, of course, I love each of the beagle pictures you post. They brighten my day.

Maureen said...

As I've scrolled through your beagle pics of Molly and Jack, my daughter is pleading for a wee playmate or two for Miles. I think she needs to spend the day, night and early morning hours at your place to truly appreciate how much work it would be!

But they are SO cute!