Friday, April 25, 2008

Mrs. J's Scrumptious Salad!

The postal person brought an ad for The Church Supper Cookbook. "Your dish will disappear first, guaranteed!" trumpeted the ad's cover. And on the first page, "The dish that disappears first will be yours, every time!"

Just look at some of those dishes: Bev's Luscious Sausage Chowder, Catherine's Chicken Sour Cream Bake, Katarine's Louisiana Beef Stew, Beatrice's Danish Potato Salad, and more, more, more.

Under my breath, I muttered that I might order it. This upset both my daughters. We have been to many, many church suppers. Around here, well ... it isn't exactly "Star Cooks of Their Communities Offer up Their Best, Most Treasured Recipes!", as the ad for the cookbook has it. It's more "What Leftovers Do I Have That I Can Bind Together with Canned Soup?".

"Be strong," my 18 year-old said, her young voice brimming with resolve. "That food (my note: not the exact word she used) is the work of the Devil. You are a warm-goat-cheese-on-baby-greens gal."

"I'd rather eat vegetarian," my 15 year-old chimed in. This is huge because she is basically Alex P. Keaton's twin.

Eh, what do I need that book for when I have so many real church cookbooks? And here's what I'm making as a side dish tonight, direct from Grace Lutheran in Fort Dodge, Iowa:


Mexican Potato Salad

4 medium potatoes (red)
1/2 c. oil
1/3 c. vinegar
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
1 pkg. corn, thawed
1/2 c. sliced celery
1/2 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1/2 c. sliced ripe olives
1/4 c. chopped red onion
tomato wedges

In pan, cook potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain and while still slightly warm, peel and cube. In small bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, chili powder, salt and pepper sauce. Add to warm potatoes, tossing gently to coat. Cover and chill for 1 hour.

Fold in corn, celery, carrots, green pepper, olives, and onion. Garnish with tomato wedges and additional olives. Serve chilled. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

1 comment:

vtwopoint5 said...

I agree with your daughters.

From the looks of tonight's potato salad, I think the Iowan Lutherans have good taste.