Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer Man Socks




My last resistance to knitting socks has fallen. The beautiful hand-dyed sock yarns out there? Oh, those I understood - who wouldn't? The comfort, the fit - check and check.

But handknit summer cotton socks? Yeah, right. Cotton isn't that durable.

Tom asked several times if maybe he might have a pair. So, with a sigh and a shrug of the shoulders, I started hunting for the right yarn.

My search led to Panda Cotton, 59% bmaboo, 25% cotton, 16% elastic nylon. It's fun to work with and the blend of fibers makes it more practical than pure cotton. The socks it makes? The difference between machine-made and handmade is even more pronounced than with wool. Looks like I'll be doing some sock knitting this summer.

The pattern is Conwy from Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road: Sock Patterns for the Traveling Knitter.

1 comment:

Betty said...

I keep reading great things about panda cotton. I may have to give that a try. How nice that your husband now asks for socks!