Friday, September 19, 2008

The Science of Socks: Science Project #1



I had just had one of those great ebay moments, the kind where you sell an item for a lot more than you thought it was worth. In this case, it was a Johnny Was shirt, once-loved but no longer needed.

Flush with ebay cash, I signed up for the Knit Purl Sock Club. Here's how the internal conversation went: Six pairs for $195? Why, per pair that's only ... oh, that is a lot. Never mind, it's not real money, anyway. It's ebay money!

The first project arrived in early September: Andamento Socks, custom pattern by Sarah Pope, 2 skeins custom Koigu Premium Painter's Palette.

It turns out this is one of those obsessive projects. I cast on two nights ago, grafted the toe on the first sock this morning.

1 comment:

Maureen said...

I too have joined sock clubs and done the calculation in my head, realizing the CRAZY cost per pair...but it didn't stop me either. After collecting 10 kits over two years and only completing 2.5 of them, I've now turned on the RESIST button.

I love the picture of Jack at the top of your blog. The little curl on the side of his mouth seems to be conveying the thought "I'm not too sure about this sweater wearing business, but I'll tolerate only because I love these people."