Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cablemania 2008-8-8-8-8-8

If I said: two skeins of Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere, color: violet, total yardage: 90, what pattern would come to mind?

I bet this one was in your top five ...


Lovely Fetching, somewhat abbreviated (2 cables at the wrists, not 3; 12 rows of k4 p1 ribbing for the hand, not 16; 3 rows at the final cable and no picot bindoff). Lovely pattern, lovely cashmere - so soft, so adorable to work with.

That project took maybe three hours, leaving me some weekend time, a cable needle, a row counter, and a ball of Shokay, a.k.a. 164 yards of pure yak-y goodness.

Enter Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting, with its gorgeous, inspired cables. My Swedish-American husband helped me choose the one on page 51. A Viking buckle from Skane, Sweden inspired it. The plan: the cable becomes the rim of a watch cap, à la Coronet.

No comments: