Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Science of Socks: Science Project 3




Meet Thora by Kristin Spurkland in Shibui yarn awash in shades of green and gold. The sock is knit with both #1 dpns and #2 dpns at the same time(!). As others who have knit this sock promised, it's really not fiddly. In the photo, the wooden needle is the #2. (You can also see beagle teeth marks on the table.) You use it only in rows 6 and 8 of the 8-row pattern. Honestly, I'm pretty sureyou could just do the whole schmeer with #1sm skip the #2s, and never notice much of a difference.

However, with two sizes of dpn at the same time (!), you get bragging rights. Here's what the pattern looks like:

Please don't notice the fact that I boffed it near the ribbing. I didn't notice you do the #2 dpn thing twice until I'd done a couple of pattern repeats. It's at the top of the sock so no frogging needed, in my opinion.

That was an unintentional change from the pattern as written. I also made an intentional one: on the Knit Purl Sock Club board at ravelry.com, Gale mentioned she found it uncomfortable to walk on these socks because the pattern goes right round the foot. To fix it, I kept the nubby pattern on the top of the foot but knit the sole and toe in smooth stockinette.

Don't you love it when it's that easy to fix something? Photobucket

No comments: