Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Science of Socks: Science Project 5



Meet Willamette Hop, a sock pattern by Cookie A. for the Knit Purl Sock Club. The "hop" part isn't so much as in "sock hop" but "beer hop". Hops look like little Chinese lanterns or maybe tiny pinecones, even. The lace does sort of look like little hops. .

The pattern was a cinch to memorize and made nice travel knitting for a car trip from Wisconsin to Ohio and back. It wasn't long before I was able to knit the little hops and listen to one of those Great Lectures audio series. This one was on the history of the English language. Thanks to those lectures, I am temporarily unable to say olde Englishe words like thorn without rrrrrelishing the rrrrrrobust, rrrrrolled rrrr.

Rrrrreally.

The sock yarn is from Painted Skeins, in the Microbrew colorway. A beery knit but a cheery one.

1 comment:

Deelsu said...

I like the socks and I love your beagle!
I'm a new follower and fellow beagle owner! ;)