Tuesday, June 23, 2009

New Acquisitions to the Collection



Yarn makes an excellent souvenir. Yarn on sale makes a super-excellent souvenir.

On my recent visit to the Bay Area, my sister and I hit two stores. Uncommon Threads in Los Altos is a well-stocked high-end yarn store. And by well-stocked, I mean not only did they have Rowan, Koigu, and Alchemy yarns but multiple copies of all four volumes of Barbara Walker's stitch dictionaries. As if that weren't enough heaven, Thai Silks is across the street.

Next to Thai Silks, Baskin Robbins. Next to that, a shoe store. Next block, a children's bookstore.

A couple of skeins of Mmmmmmalabrigo Silky Merino, 51% silk, 49% merino. The color: "Green Gray". Is it just me or do you also associate "green gray" with the complexion of someone who is seasick? It's really more of a light Aegean blue. The color in this photo is not true. Think deep duck's egg and you're there.


This Alchemy Silk Purse in Dragon was irresistible. The chartreuse color on the 100% silk glows.

Those are my excellent souvenirs. Now for the super-excellent souvenirs.

Around the corner and down a couple of blocks, my sister and I came upon Full Thread Ahead. The bricks-and-mortar part of the business is closing but the owner said she will be selling on the internet. Everything in that store was top quality and the all-things-must-go bargains were huge.



Oh yeah, I found two skeins of Misti Alpaca Chunky soft and light as a cloud at 50% off. The color is a raisin and it rocks my world.

I also picked up a couple of skeins of Art Yarns' Regal Silk in a vivid violet, also 50% off.


Which would you knit with first? I'll show you what I chose tomorrow.

No comments: