Monday, June 29, 2009

One Swift Knit




A scarf with a 30-row lace pattern (15 rows of thinking and 15 rows of purling), you'd think it would be painstaking. Not this one. The Raha Scarf from Nancy Bush's Knitted Lace of Estonia just about fell off the needles and into my lap, complete and blocked. That's how quick a knit it is.

The pattern represents money; good fortune might be another way of saying that. Working on the scarf, I thought the pattern looked like cucumber slices. Now, looking at the whole, it's transformed from cucumber slices to something fin-de-si├Ęcle and swoony and Gustav Klimt-y/Aubrey Beardsley-y.

Part of that is due to the yarn itself. What's more decadent than the gleam of chartreuse silk? I used about 1 1/2 skeins of Alchemy's Silk Purse (100% silk) in Dragon, thought about knitting beyond the 11 pattern repeats, and decided, ultimately, that it might be too much of a good thing.

For a tall, spare, dramatic woman, a long scarf is so elegant. For myself, the shorter scarf is all I am licensed to handle.

1 comment:

teabird said...

Beautiful, just beautiful, and such a silky, delicious colour! That's my favorite design from the book - I couldn't even conceive of being able to knit the others... (I'm 4'11', so I know what you mean about the right to wear scarves that would follow behind like a train.)