Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Shhhhh! Secret Knitting in Progress


Two big birthdays coming up: my brother-in-law's 50th and the first birthday of their granddaughter.

For the little girl, I wanted to make a hat that Tinkerbell would wear. This is is Flower Toggle Hat from Handknits for Kids by Lucinda Guy. It's a wonderful book of patterns with many standouts, including this one. For the wool, I found two no-name skeins of Chinese merino superwash at Herrschner's Outlet.

I did modify the pattern to knit it in the round, rather than flat. A hat is just prettier if it doesn't have a seam running up the back. I also knit the stem of the flower as i-cord, rather than flat.
The design of the flower is so simple and clever. Don't you love the red and yellow stamens?

For her grandpa,who has been been working with computer-generated animation for years and years, I'm doing a pair of bmp.

No comments: