Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Top O' The Sock



The ribbing part of a sock should flow into the design on the leg. With every fiber of my being, this I do believe. It should behave itself, as in the Willamette Hop Sock above.

Then along comes Eikrem, the new design from the Knit Purl Sock Club to question everything a stock stands for. That ribbing does not flow into the design of the leg. The pattern breaks between the two.
(Click on the photo to see the detail.) It's intentional! It's asymetric! It's atonal! It's postmodern! It's driving me to the brink!

That pattern break or lack of flow between the ribbing and the leg is meant to suggest the jagged coastline of the fjords in Norway, says the designer.

I'm not open-minded enough. That pattern break makes me go all Joan Crawford.

2 comments:

vtwopoint5 said...

I agree :)

The completed socks are great!

KathieB said...

The first picture makes it look like the socks were a joint effort of you and your pup. What fun imagery that conjures up!