Friday, December 18, 2009

Blogging about Knitting While Watching A Movie about Blogging




We watched "Julie and Julia" last night. Stanley Tucci as Paul Child was wonderful, nuanced, believeable. As for the rest of it: I didn't understand Meryl Streep's choice to portray Julia Child as a lumbering village idiot and I grew very tired of Amy Adams flailing about to grasp one shred of interest or likeability in her character.

My active dislike of this film - except for you, Mr. Tucci. You can stay. - took energy. I was talking to the screen, as in "Yeah, right Paris looked that good right after the war" and talking to my husband, as in "Do you remember people being that into Julia Child in the '70's?". (He didn't but he didn't have time to master French chefery back then.)

While watching and furrowing my brow and frowning and talking, I was also knitting. The pattern I was knitting was this:

It's the Knit Purl Sock Club kit for November/December. I seem to be all about the kits lately. This particular one is part of a very generous prize I won. The yarn is Abstract Fiber SuperSock (superwash merino. The colorway is Pinot Noir and the pattern has little grapes up near the cuff. If you click on any photo, you'll see them more clearly. You'll also see that the actual color of the Pinot Noir colorway is heavy on the noir, as compared to the pattern photo. I'm okay with that but the noir takes this sock from one to wear to a wine tasting to one worn by an Edward Gorey character as she impassively hands a poisoned glass of wine to her victim. Who can't use a sock like that, I ask?

Knitting-wise, it's a k1 tbl, p3 rib once you've done the grapes at the top. That simplicity made it a great choice for knitting while watching a netflix.

The Knit Purl kit always contains a little lagniappe of a gift. This time, it was

a very handy mini-crochet hook. It's perfect for picking up dropped stitches.

No comments: