Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bam Bam A-Ree Bam A-Ram Bamboo


A request for a pair of birthday socks sent me to my cedar chest. That's where my yarn waits to be used.

This photo represents about a third of the chest, the part where I keep the sock yarns.

I keep them in three different bags: the brown and cream yarn is in the eh-it-was-a-bargain-so-I-bought-it bag, the flowered bag is the excuse-me-but-this-is-hand-dyed bag, the blue yarns you see are a heavier fingering weight for maybe socks or maybe baby garments. The arrow? It's pointing to the yarn I needed for the birthday socks, the bamboo sock yarns.

We are big fans of bamboo yarn in this house, especially for socks.
"The fiber contains an antibacterial and bacteriostasis bioagent that stays in the fiber even after the garment has been washed fifty times... The fiber's cell structure is made of microscopic holes that provide for extremely rapid moisture absorption and evaporation, giving it an excellent ability to breathe." -Clara Parkes in The Knitter's Book of Yarn


No wonder I have a nice stash of the stuff. Want a closer look? You can click any photo to make bigger.


The orange variegated is a 400-yard skein of Sugar Bunny Boulevard's Emeline (55% bamboo, 24$ cotton, 21% elastic)in the Spice colorway. It's sprongy to the touch, thanks to all that elastic. One of the blues in there is Regia Bamboo Color (45% bamboo, 40% wool, 15% polyamid and the other is Pandal Wool (51% bamboo, 39% wool, 10% nylon). The white is Panda Cotton (59% bamboo, 25% cotton, 16% elastic nylon.

It being a February birthday these socks are for, I decided on a hefty mix of wool and bamboo, Boo Fly Sock (60% superwash merino, 30% bamboo, 10% nylon) in the Woodland colorway. More about that tomorrow.

No comments: