Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My Plans Were to Give Socks A Rest



Tom's Birthday Socks - done! The yarn is Boo Fly Sock (60% superwash merino, 30% bamboo, 10% nylon). It was a pleasure to knit with and the wool-bamboo mix should be a pleasure to wear in these late-winter months. (You can click any photo to make bigger.)

The sock pattern is Nancy Bush's Conwy. In order to finish the socks in time, I knit the feet plain. I don't love the flashing but I don't hate it either. I do love what the pattern on the leg does to the Woodland colorway.

My plans were to give socks a rest, once Tom's birthday socks were finished. Then this brand new book by Charlene Schurch and Beth Parrott showed up on the radar ... Photobucket

There's some instruction in the book - how to upsize and downsize, for example - but, fundamentally, you'd better already have knit a sock or two. The patterns range from funky to fun to classic. It's a great selection of 23 patterns. My standout favorite is Anne Hanson's Acorn Stash Socks. It just looks fun to knit.

The pattern was written for indy dyer Fearless Fibers' sock yarn in the muted golds and greens of her colorway Greed. It's a beautiful yarn and I was juuuuust about to order it when I happened upon

at Lakeside Fibers in Madison, Wisconsin. The colorway is Strange Harvest. Pretty acorny, don't you think?

No comments: