Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Two Projects: Pink and Purple, Yin and Yang




My two main projects on the needles couldn't be less alike.

In mindless tv knitting, there's an afghan in moss stitch.

The yarn is superwash merino. I'm knitting with two strands on the biggest needles I own to speed this up. Eventually, there'll be some kind of lacy border.

Don't get me wrong, It is a long slog of moss stitch but the results are pretty and the recipient asked for something very simple and clean. She will enjoy this afghan for years.

At about the time I cast on for the afghan, a lot of Estonian knitted lace was on my radar. This stunning book arrived in the mail

Photobucket

I bought mine from Knit Purl in Portland, Oregon but amazon.com has the book, as do many other online knitting or book shops. This $60 book that's well worth the money. It's a coffee table book of stunningly beautiful photographs but it is also a pattern book that situates the lace knitting in a cultural and historical context.

To chose a favorite pattern is impossible but one of my favorites is Lily of the Valley and Stones. Nancy Bush also must love this pattern; her beautiful Facing Lilies Stole in the current Interweave Knits is none other than the Lily of the Valley and Stones pattern and a border.

So the other project on the needles is a stole of Lily of the Valley and Stones. The yarn was a birthday gift from my sister a couple of years ago. It's Jade Sapphire 2-ply cashmere in the Lupine colorway. I've been saving it for something glorious.

Fiddly lace knitting in fine yarn, baby. That's where the heart lies.

No comments: