Thursday, May 06, 2010

College Afghan - Off the Needles


Oh, I agonized over this afghan for my younger daughter. She wanted something simple, something in one color only, something most certainly not in squares like a granny afghan.

There went my plans for making her a Babette Blanket in 17 different colorways of Koigu. Instead, I ordered a sensible amount of Cascade 220 Superwash in one of her favorite colors, cast on quite a few stitches using two strands of yarn and #10 circs and started hacking away at rows and rows of seed stitch.

Oceans of seed stitch. Acres of it. Giant industrial vats of seed stitch.

Months later, it was time to bind off and add a crochet border: this one. I worked rows 1 - 3 only using a G hook. The ribbon was an afterthought. My daughter can change the color if she likes or take it out altogether. I hope it stays in for awhile. I hope it and the afghan keep my kid warm and safe and happy and fed and well and all the things a mom can't do in person when her kid is many states away in college.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

OMG this is such an amazing blanket. It is so elegant and cute! Did you use 2 threads and a large needle size? And could you tell me how you did the lovely frill edge? I am going to try and make this one because it is just soooo perfect. Thanks for the great idea!