Saturday, September 04, 2010

Rip It Rip It Rip It

Summer Sox, design by Cookie A

There are soul-sucking knitting projects.  For whatever reason, the project becomes one long slog through the swamp of knitting tedium or despair. 

I used to perservere through those.  No longer.  Knitting for me is a hobby.  If it's not fun or esthetically pleasing, into the frog pond it goes so I can rip it rip it rip it to start over on something else.

Ninety percent or more of knitting is fun stuff.  The socks in the photo above:  fun stuff.  The lace is unusual and an easily-memorized 10-row pattern.  I knit the socks in front of the tv, in the car, and at a political rally.  I liked that I knew the pattern by heart, that I didn't have to keep referring to the chart.

I also like Scandinavian colorwork where the chart can never leave my side.  What will be a fun knit and what will be a slog is not that predictable.  I like colorwork.  I like cables.  I like lace.  What I don't like are long swaths of garter stitch, although I do like the look of long swaths of garter stitch, à la the beautiful work of  Brooklyn Tweed.

I have two projects on the needles right now.  One is a Scandinavian colorwork mitten, the other a lace stole.  Colorwork and lace, two things I find fun, yet one of these requires me to put on figurative waders and slog through a swamp of Baudelarian ennui.  And that's just walking by the thing sitting on the table.  It's exactly the feeling Jean-Louis Murat sings about in Baudelaire's poem «La Cloche fêlée», set to music by Léo Ferré.


Jean Louis Murat - la cloche fêlée
Uploaded by Jean-Louis-Murat. - Discover more animation and arts videos.

When lines from Baudelaire crowd your head, it's time to send that knitting project to the frog pond.  Au revoir, lace stole.  I will rip it rip it rip it and start over.

No comments: