Thursday, October 28, 2010

Found Wool!

A large plastic garbage bag full of wool!

In my basement!

Under my parents' old formica-topped dining room table! Next to a shoebox full of fieldwork notes!

Serendipitous stash enhancement!

That yarn has been there, oh, six years.  I know exactly when I bought it and for what, which happens to be a chullo hat for a baby.

There are over ten colors, yay!
And the yarn is mostly nice wool like Dalegarn Falk (sport weight, 100% wool, machine washable), perfect for stranded colorwork!  Yes, I did end up making that chullo and even in time to give it to the baby I intended it for.  At the time, it took me probably three weeks of concentrated effort.


But that was then and this is now.  There's a lot of knitting between the two.  I am happy to report that, although I found the garbage bag of yarn only three days ago, I have a Finished Object.
Soaking for blocking this morning

The pattern is Annemor #2 from Selbuvotter: Biography of a Knitting Tradition by Terri Shea. If you don't already own this book and you love Scandinavian knitting, consider adding this book to your collection. There are 30 patterns, all taken from antique mittens and interesting background info, too.

The Scandinavian mitten connoisseurs will notice immediately that the yarn is worsted-weight instead of the traditional fingering. I took a pattern for a child's mitten and sized it for an adult woman's medium-sized hand simply by using the heavier wool and larger needles (#3 dpns).

No comments: