Sunday, June 12, 2011

Ulmus Shawl

Hand Maiden's Casbah (81% merino, 9% cashmere, 10% nylon) in Nova Scotia casting an accusing and defiant eye
 Not going for twee here but yarn pretty much does tell a knitter what it wants to be and what it doesn't want to be.  This is not a case of Chitty Chitty Bang Bangitis or enchantment or lunacy.  It's simply that you may purchase yarn with the reasonable idea of making it into one thing but find that it doesn't look or behave as expected.

My skein of Casbah in Nova Scotia didn't want to be socks.  Now, I have used the same yarn  in a different colorway for a pair of mansocks.  It was wonderful, perfect.  Magnificent, even.  This encouraged me to insist a little more than normal.  I made two attempts to force the issue, first with a baby-cable pattern, then with a slip-stitch pattern.  The yarn won out.  My mistake:  there are other uses for sock yarn than socks, of course.  Baby clothing comes to mind.  Scarves, fingerless mitts, wraps.   It's simply a matter of taking full advantage of the yarn's relative lightness and colorways.


The pattern is Ulmus.  It's a slip-stitch pattern calling for two rows of Yarn A followed by two rows of Yarn B.  Some use contrasting yarns but I happened to have a complimentary yarn on hand.  This is the result:


Yarn B is Shibui Knits Sock (100% superwash merino) in Emerald.  I bought it online, thinking it was a solid. Yeah, it's a self-striper in shades of green.  See?



I didn't love it for socks.  I do love it as contrast and edging for this shawl.


Nice shawl, stash down by four skeins (one of the blues/greens and three of the emerald).  Happy ending, right?

And so I, too, believed.  Then the Loopy Ewe decided to put on Camp Loopy - details of what that is in the link.  The first project is a scarf or shawl or cape in two colors to be knit between mid-June and mid-July.

So, yeah, I'm in.  Let's see what an Ulmus Shawl from these two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock will look like.

2 comments:

cleoj386 said...

Beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person.

Thomasina said...

Gem-like and shimmering summer colors and pictures!