Tuesday, December 25, 2012

My Christmas Knitting Inspired My 2013 Knitting Goals



1.   Knit Socks.  You know those fruit-of-the-month clubs?  Every month you get a shipment appropriate to the season, maybe for three months or six or even twelve.  I gave my son-in-law Ian a membership in my sock-of-the-month club.

For the next three months, he will receive a pair of socks appropriate to the season.  Above are the December socks.  The pattern is Nancy Bush's Knot Socks;  the yarn is Dream in Color Smooshy.

Here's what I have planned:  January's socks will be in Lorna's Laces Solemate, a blend of superwash Merino, nylon, and the better-living-through-chemistry Outlast.   February will be Dream in Color Smooshy with (a dusting of) Cashmere.  March will be bamboo.


2.  Knit Icelandic.  I'm going to work my way through Donna Druchunas' Ethnic Knitting Exploration: Lithuania, Iceland, and Ireland.  Above is an Icelandic capelet, my first footstep along this path.  I knit it in Unspun Icelandic, very warm and pretty but a wispy pain to knit with. It was a Christmas knit for my older daughter.



3.  Knit More Sweaters.   If only all of them could be as quick and fun as Owls, my Christmas knit for my younger daughter.   Owls went from yarn to sweater in five days!  It was my first sweater knit in the round.  Joining the sleeves to the body confused me.  Here's what I finally understood:  the 4 underarm stitches on hold and the 4 sleeve stitches on hold on each side get grafted together at the very end of the sweater.  The very end, as in the neck ribbing is done and those owl button eyes are sewn on and then you graft.    

1 comment:

Gexton said...

I read Post and got it fine and informative. Please share more like that.

standard textile Mills